Sunday Weather Journal: Fall outlook for Arizona, Waffle House a hurricane indicator, Isaac brings drought relief
Happy Meteorological Fall! As we stroll into September, "The Journal" recaps Isaac and looks forward to what kind of weather to expect across the state this Autumn.
- Tucson August 2012 recap: average temp 2.9° above average, rainfall 1.22" below average.
- Dry August, but still running above average for Monsoon rainfall. Tucson rain total since June 15th stands at 5.64"...other cities here.
- Warm & stormy Autumn for Arizona, as the Climate Prediction Center pegs a good chance of above average precip now through November. Thank a developing El Nino for that.
- While Isaac was devastating for parts of the Gulf Coast (20" rain in New Orleans), it was a blessing in disguise for the drought-stricken Midwest. Rainfall map here shows Missouri & Illinois seeing 2-5" rain last week.
- Isaac's storm surge made the Mississippi River flow backwards in Louisiana! Details here from USGS.
- How about this: FEMA uses Waffle House to determine how severe hurricane impacts are. Limited menu = lots of storm damage...report here from The Weather Channel.